Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cross Training

So the kids are back in school and my life has resumed it's normal schedule of school bus madness followed by quick house-wide tidy up then off to the gym.  Of course I can't run or go to my weight class with my friends because of my dang heel so I have been hitting the bike and the pool.  I've actually been enjoying the pool more than I thought I would.  The only drawbacks are that you have to get wet and you can't talk to your friends and hash out the world's woes while working out.  

I've been swimming twice a week for about an hour and am getting in about 2500 yds per work out.  I bought myself some swim-fins for training (not so long as scuba fins so your legs don't get so tired and you can still do flip turns) and I also bought a water proof housing and waterproof headphones for my shuffle so now I can swim with tunes!  It's awesome and really helps mitigate my longing for friends to talk to.  I also just found a place online called swimplan.com that sends you a new workout every day and customizes it based on your personal time trials, stroke counts, stroke proficiency (it will put butterfly in your workout if you can fly etc) plus it has a place to record your stats and workouts etc.  I'm excited to try it out and look forward to following someone else's plan instead of my own monotony.

In three weeks I'll be starting a spin class at the gym which I've never done before.  I've heard they can be grueling so I'm trying to push myself on the stationary bike on my own for now to try to build up to it.  I'm excited to try something new and have bullied my friends Jane and Kari into taking it with me so I'm very happy about having the chance to work out with them again.  We'll just have to grab bikes in the back so the instructor doesn't get mad at us for all our jabbering.  (assuming we have the ability to talk and spin at the same time which I suspect we might not...)  I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

Liz said...

You're awesome! I hate to swim, but love to watch. However, if Adam gets his way, we may be doing some kind of triathlon some day. Anyway it was good to talk to you yesterday. But I am still not up on your list....sigh.

Kathryn said...

Wow, look at you go. :)

Tom and Jane Schell said...

Rachel...I miss you! Can't believe I'm so easily replaced by a shuffle. So maybe I can join you in the pool sometime...I just have to get over the pathetic fact that I can't swim worth beans.

Liz said...

FINALLY! The nagging paid off! I made the list! Wahoo! BFF's! haha :) Love you!

Liz said...

UPDATE! I am happy you are swimming and exercising your heart out, and very impressed too, I might add. But I need an update on your lives, as I am not lucky enough to live across the street anymore!

Ben & Diane said...

I hurt my heel in college and I am sure I broke it since an x-ray years later showed it so I feel your pain. I hope it is better soon. Good luck with spin. I tried that years ago and it kicks butt. And you're right. Talking will be impossible if you are doing the spinning correctly.

Kathryn said...

Rachel, where are you? I miss your updates!