Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Dinner

A snap shot I'd like to remember:

While cleaning up the dishes tonight John complimented me on how well my turkey gravy turned out despite my fretting over a deficit of drippings.  Chase chimed in that it was indeed good and that he "really liked it".  At this point I hear Dunn say in a somewhat muffled voice, "I really liked the rolls" and I look over to see all 5' 7" of his lanky boyness leaning against the oven in a very James Dean sort of way.  He is still dressed in his church clothes but his tie is loose and his shirt un-tucked.  He is holding an almost empty jar of Smucker's strawberry jam upside down just above eye level and plucking rolls one after the other from the 9x13 baking dish resting on the stove and systematically shoving them into the jar to swab the sides and then popping the roll into his mouth.  I can't imagine what dinner time will be like in five years when the boys are 19, 16, 14 and 10.  I'm going to have to get a bigger roll recipe.

2 comments:

MEGAN said...

That is a great picture to remember. I can't even imagine feeding four gorwing boys! Eeesh. Good luck. I love your posts.

John and Mindy Pease said...

Rachel, I love your new blog! It is great. I will keep it bookmarked so John and I will know the "happenings" of the Westhoffs. Take care ~~ Mindy Pease