Saturday, February 16, 2008

Weekend Update

Wednesday was another snow day...yippee for me!...  I spent an hour in the morning trying to help my neighbor Kim get her car out the driveway and up the icy road so she could take her son to see John in the ED.  Hunter had split his knee open quite gruesomely while sledding.  Our efforts included kitty litter, table salt, driveway salt, getting a running start and gunning it, going slow and in low gear, driving on the grass instead of the road (hoping for better traction) and ended up with her car in the middle of the road completely stuck and slipping backwards with every attempt.  We called it quits when it became apparent that a few more tries would have her sliding into her neighbor's car that was parked on the side of the road.

We were saved by the mail man who was delivering the mail in his four wheel drive pick up truck and offered to tow her to the top of the hill.  YEAH USPS!!!  I'll never describe a maniac as "going postal" again.  She made it to the emergency room and Hunter got 10 stitches.

I headed down to post myself that afternoon to follow up with a podiatrist who is treating me for heel pain incident to a flare up of plantar fasciitis. After three weeks of sleeping in a boot, stretching like a fiend and no running brought no relief she brought out the big guns and shot me up with steroids.  So far nothing is improved but she said it takes 72 hours for the steroids to kick in so I'll keep you posted.

Last night I was struck with some GI bug and spent a tortured night of nausea, sweats/chills and periods of laying on the bathroom floor because it wasn't worth the effort to stumble all the way back to bed and  the cold tile was actually soothing in that pathetic "it's the middle of the night and I'm sicker than a dog" sort of way. 

John was home today and picked up my life and ran with it.  He got Dunn and Zach off to Merit Badge University (Dunn earned Chemistry and Zach completed Computers) and cheered Chase at his second to last basket ball game of the season wherein he actually dribbled the ball and got off four shots towards the basket one of which actually went in!

I slept until 2pm and then laid on the couch in the living room for the remainder of the day.  Being sick is a bummer but it is much easier to handle with a husband home to pick up the slack and run interference with the kids.  


1 comment:

Tom and Jane Schell said...

Rachel...I'm so sorry you are sick and I didn't even know. I should have called, but I knew I wouldn't be seeing you today so I didn't even think about it. I hope you are feeling better now. Sorry you have such a bum friend.