Sunday, December 14, 2008

Advent Calendar

Not to come off as an ego-maniac or anything but there is practically nothing that happens in this house without me having some part in it.  I either do the thing or remind, prod, nag, nudge or threaten bodily harm until the thing gets done.  The thing could be anything...beds getting made, dinner prepared, homework done, bills paid, clothes washed, toilets flushed...you name; I had a hand in doing it.

You have to know this about my house to truly appreciate the following little tid-bit.  We have an adorable little snowman advent calendar hanging on our wall in the kitchen.  The snowman has 24 little pockets on his belly and a cute little candy cane on a string so it can be moved along from pocket to pocket through out the yule-tide.  

I hung the snowman on the wall the day after Thanksgiving and promptly forgot all about it.  I never explained it to the kids or assigned someone to be the official "candy cane countdown control person"  I just hung it up and like some non-interactive wall art.

I'll be darned if that little candy cane isn't ALWAYS in exactly the right pocket.  Somehow, someway some little person is completely on top of moving it along.  I have never seen which child is doing it; never heard them fighting over whose turn it is to put it in the next pocket...I just look up and notice it at some point in my day and notice that it has once again been advanced.  

The satisfaction I get out of seeing something done completely devoid of input from me is completely out of scale to the act.  Logically I know it's just a candy cane in a pocket but somehow it gives me a thrill of  hope and joy.  It's my own little Christmas Miracle!!!

5 comments:

John W. said...

Hey, sometimes I do stuff!

Kathryn said...

Hurray for independence! And responsibility! There is hope.

Rachael said...

I feel your joy!

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing your little miracle. It has given me hope that someday something will happen with out my hand in it.

Joryn Boehme said...

There's a quote (I think it's by Benjamin Franklin) that says, "He who can have patience can have what he will." It looks as if that's true! Haha- I'm not quite sure where our advent calendar is at the moment... but I'm pretty sure that it's set up somewhere.... But I think that my dad is more the driving force in our home. It's kind of funny, sometimes.