Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pernicious Puking

Poor John spent the bulk of the last 18 hours sicker than a dog.  Fifteen years of marriage and I can't really recall a time he's been so miserably ill...except perhaps once in Pine Bluff, AR but I've  blocked out so much of our Arkansas experience it's hard to be sure.

After 15 hours in bed John's back couldn't take it anymore so I coaxed him to move to the basement and zone out in front of the TV.  Later that afternoon I went down to check on him and sat down on the couch to keep him company for a bit.  At this point the school bus came and the kids tumbled in the door.  Zach made his way downstairs and stopped short.  He looked at the both of us for a while then commented, "Whoa.  This is SOO weird.  I don't think I've EVER seen you guys sitting down watching TV in the middle of the day.  I mean,  you're usually always folding laundry or something".  It's good to know my son doesn't think I'm a total schlepp.

In anticipation of the likelihood that some or all of the rest of the family will suffer the same fate as their daddy,  I spent a few minutes reviewing "Proper Puking Procedure" with the kids whilst I had them corralled at the dinner table.  (I know, completely gross but it's the only time I can get them all at once.)  Chase endeared himself to me when he answered the question, "What is the number one most important thing to remember when you puke?" with a resounding, "Don't throw up on the carpet!!!!" 

Let's hope that lesson sticks and the bug passes us by.


4 comments:

MEGAN said...

My goodness! I understand the proper puking technique talk. That is the worst to get out of carpet. We will pray that the rest of you do not get the bug, that does not sound fun. Get better John!

Rachael said...

The best is when they can get the job done right and go back to bed without waking you!

Liz said...

Sam is equally savvy on puking etiquette, while Jens is much more prone to puke on the floor. Why is that? By the way, I am so happy to see that you updated!! I hope John is feeling better.

Joryn Boehme said...

I caught that pretty little bug... I made it to the sink and remembered to puke on the correct side of said sink. I was very proud.