
This story isn't about me but today it could have been. I went in for a bone scan and was injected with a vial full of radioactive isotope. I was sitting in the nuclear medicine treatment room, observing all the "DANGER RADIATION" warnings and listening to the reassuring (I guess) steady click of what I assumed was an on site geiger counter. The tech came in and took out a very serious looking cannister. It looked to be something that Superman would use to contain a piece of kryptonite. He unscrewed the top and removed a single syringe, uncapped it and injected it into my arm. At this point the background clicking picked up a bit. I asked him, "is that noise a geiger counter?" "It sure is." "It seems to be going faster." "Yeah, it's measuring you now."
Weird.
He warned me that I might set off the installation's bomb sensors and gave me a letter explaining that I am indeed undergoing a nuclear medicine study and am not mixing a dirty bomb in my basement.
Luckily, I was able to complete my PX and commissary shopping trips without triggering a Department of Homeland Security response and I'm happy to report that the image of my foot does in fact reveal a big white glowing spot exactly where it hurts. Whether they are able to tell a bone spur spot from a stress fracture spot from an inflammation from plantar fasciitis is beyond me but at least there is now concrete evidence that there is indeed SOMETHING going on in my right heel and I'm not a crazy hypochondriac lazy butt just trying to get out of my daily run.


1 comment:
Rachel, I never thought you were a crazy hypochondriac, but if becoming radioactive is what needs to happen to get the problem fixed then it is worth it. I want my running partner back!
Post a Comment